2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln Aviator Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln Aviator Forum

Like most online communities, you must first please register to create topics, reply to posts or create a photo gallery.

The process is free, quick and simple.

Once you sign up, you'll be able to
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lincoln’s Chief Designer: We Don’t Want to Follow the Germans

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Aviator Guide

Aviator Guide

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My Aviator:Decline

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:57 PM

Lincoln’s Chief Designer: We Don’t Want to Follow the Germans

LINCOLN CONTINENTAL.org from Car and Driver: It was launched in concept form at the New York auto show last year, and the series-production version was unveiled at the Detroit auto show this week. We are speaking, of course, about the Continental, Lincoln’s new flagship. We spent some time with the brand’s chief designer David Woodhouse, a Brit by birth but who has a deep understanding for American-style luxury.

Based on a front-wheel-drive platform but decidedly larger than the MKZ, the Continental is designed to take on the premium offerings by Audi, BMW, Cadillac, and Mercedes-Benz. But while Cadillac has—with much success, it must be said—tried to beat the Germans at their own game of building superior performance sedans, Lincoln will not follow that path. You won’t find front splitters, carbon-ceramic brakes, or performance-data recorders on a Lincoln. “We are an American brand and decidedly don’t want to imitate the Germans,” says Woodhouse.

READ MORE HERE

#2 OFFLINE   Indigo Girl

Indigo Girl

• Aviator Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationOrlando
  • My Aviator:None

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

I absolutely love the driving characteristics on my BMW X3 and the BMW X5 even much better.  Not too sure about the Audis, but the German cars offer a really nice handling experience. If Lincoln doesn't plan on developing vehicles that can handle and brake very well, I'm frankly not interested at all.

#3 OFFLINE   blackmax

blackmax

• Aviator Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationColumbus
  • My Aviator:2005

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

I absolutely love the driving characteristics on my BMW X3 and the BMW X5 even much better.  Not too sure about the Audis, but the German cars offer a really nice handling experience. If Lincoln doesn't plan on developing vehicles that can handle and brake very well, I'm frankly not interested at all.

I don't think that the head of Lincoln was saying that at all.  If you look at the new MKX, it was excellent driving dynamics and is compared to Asian and German brands.  I think what Lincoln is trying to skip is the high power engines and big brakes or performance in a box brand that Cadillac is trying to become or has become.  Lincoln of course will have premium suspension, brakes and enough power, but they want more uber luxury rather than in your face performance.

When you look at the Continental, to me it exudes luxury. When you look at Cadillac, I feel that it's far more aggressive.

#4 OFFLINE   Miggy

Miggy

• Aviator Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationNebraska
  • My Aviator:2003

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

This would be a real change from what the original Lincoln Aviator was based on because it has a 4.6L Cobra engine.  Really though, nobody outside original Aviator owners would know or even care about that.  Heck, many people won't even know that there was a Gen I Aviator! 

The EcoBoost engine seems to be the difference though and those engines put out a lot of power.  Maybe not as gung-ho as the Cadillac's engines, but it's enough for most people really.  I mean, we're not taking our Aviators on the race track after all.

#5 OFFLINE   AVONE

AVONE

Aviator Member

• Aviator Member
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUS

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:29 PM

Lincoln has come a long way still not sure they are a true luxury line as BMW

#6 OFFLINE   JulKamp

JulKamp

• Aviator Member
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationClearwater
  • My Aviator:2005

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:24 PM

Lincoln has come a long way still not sure they are a true luxury line as BMW

BMW has been making sports cars for years, so they have never left their strategy unlike the U.S. brands.  My Aviator has the 4.6L Cobra engine, so it was a luxury SUV with a lot of performance. Let's see where Lincoln goes with the new model.

#7 OFFLINE   AVONE

AVONE

Aviator Member

• Aviator Member
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUS

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:57 PM

I love BMW but Aviator is on th eway

#8 OFFLINE   motorman