2019 Lincoln Aviator Introduced Here !

Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln Aviator Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln Aviator Forum

Like most online communities, you must first please register to create topics, reply to posts or create a photo gallery.

The process is free, quick and simple.

Once you sign up, you'll be able to
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lincoln Aviator Lincoln's derailed gravy train hitches to another car: Car and Driver Review

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Robert

Robert

Aviator Member

• PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My Aviator:None

Posted 24 December 2015 - 12:59 AM

Lincoln Aviator Lincoln's derailed gravy train hitches to another car: Car and Driver Review

We do not think, however, that Lincoln need fear a Blackwoodlike flop with its newest vehicle, the Aviator sport-utility vehicle. In fact, having spent a few weeks with it, we think it may be the best model in Lincoln's four-vehicle lineup.

The Aviator is like a trimmed-down version of Lincoln's bigger SUV, the Navigator, which is based on the full-size, 17-foot-long Ford Expedition. The Aviator is based on the Ford Explorer, the mid-size 16-footer that's the company's bestselling SUV.

Lincoln sells about 30,000 of the big Navigators a year for about $49,000 to $60,000. Luxury SUVs are cash cows for the carmakers because they fetch high prices while running on platforms designed for less-expensive vehicles. So there's no mystery in the Aviator's intro. The problem is there's already a spruced-up Explorer in the Ford family, the Mercury Mountaineer. So the question becomes: How have Ford and Lincoln justified a second Explorer spinoff?

Lincoln, not surprisingly, says the Aviator is the top rung of the Explorer ladder. It does cost the most. The Aviator starts at $39,995 and can balloon to almost $49,000 with options. The Mountaineer, the first step down, runs between about $30,000 and $39,000, and the broad-appeal Explorer runs from roughly $26,500 to more than $40,000. READ MORE HERE

#2 OFFLINE   Pirana

Pirana

• Aviator Member
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationGA
  • My Aviator:2005

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

I guess they were way off or at least with the Aviator name going forward.  In retrospect though, had Lincoln kept the Aviator name over the MKX, the Aviator would now be the twin to the Edge and not the Explorer as it should be.  It will be interesting to see how Ford can make the Aviator look really different from the Explorer this time around.

#3 OFFLINE   blackmax

blackmax

• Aviator Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationColumbus
  • My Aviator:2005

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

Then the new Lincoln Aviator would be called the MKX as the current MKX could be the Aviator :kookie:

I am surprised thet Lincoln kept the Aviator name all of these years unless they planned for it to come back sometime.

#4 OFFLINE   Robert

Robert

Aviator Member

• PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDearborn, Michigan
  • My Aviator:None

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:17 PM

Then the new Lincoln Aviator would be called the MKX as the current MKX could be the Aviator :kookie:

I am surprised thet Lincoln kept the Aviator name all of these years unless they planned for it to come back sometime.

Mark Fields (Ford CEO) stated that Lincoln will keep some MK named models MKZ, MKX and maybe the MKC while they will introduce new, traditional name plates like the Aviator, Continental and bring back the Mark.  I have NEVER been a fan of these MK naming schemes and am excited that Lincoln is bringing the classics back. Cadillac on the other hand is going with a scheme which people on Caddy forums don't seem to like. Bring back the Eldorado!!!!

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·