Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln Aviator Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln Aviator Forum

Like most online communities, you must first please register to create topics, reply to posts or create a photo gallery.

The process is free, quick and simple.

Once you sign up, you'll be able to
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Create a photo album, post images and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2004 Aviator Is it worth the rebuild ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joenat

joenat

• Aviator Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationNew Jersey
  • My Aviator:2004

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:10 PM

My father in law gave me his very good condition 2004 Aviator. Tow truck just dropped it off. He said the engine made alot of noise and just died 3 months ago.
I put a wrench on the crankshaft and couldnt spin the motor. Its it worth a new engine ? The truck itself has 101k on it. It would make a great truck for the fam. Opinions please ?

#2 OFFLINE   chlorine

chlorine

• Aviator Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationOmaha, Ne
  • My Aviator:2003

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

I've replaced the motor in mine twice now, it's not cheap and I did the work myself.

A motor from the junkyard was $2100 the first time. The second time I bought a whole parts vehicle from the insurance auction, also about $2000.

The engine itself (shortblock + heads) is identical to the engine in the automatic Mach 1 and the Maurader. The manual Mach 1s have a different forged crank shaft with 8 bolts instead of 6 for the flywheel. This may help you in a search for a replacement engine. Look at car-part.com  copart.com or iaai.com for engine sources.

From the "made a lot of noise" comment, the most likely failure is the timing chain guides, which would lead to piston to valve contact on at least one side. Only way to know for sure what happened is to start pulling it apart.

Another potential issue with these trucks are the transmissions and the shifters. The 5w55x series have an issue with the servos wearing in the bores causing the trans to slip out of gear, this extends to the Explorers as well. The shifter has a plastic piece that can break leaving you stuck in park, or solenoid that unlocks the shifter when the brake is pressed can quit working. Ebay sellers want a premium for the shifter assembly.

Given the age of these trucks and their value, you might be best off parting it out and putting the money towards something else. I can't make that decision for you tho, I rebuilt my own as a labor of love on an '03 with 70k miles.

#3 OFFLINE   AVONE

AVONE

Aviator Member

• Aviator Member
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationUS
  • My Aviator:Decline

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

might want to consider a new one

• Pirana likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Pirana

Pirana

• Aviator Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationGA
  • My Aviator:2005

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

I've replaced the motor in mine twice now, it's not cheap and I did the work myself.

A motor from the junkyard was $2100 the first time. The second time I bought a whole parts vehicle from the insurance auction, also about $2000.

The engine itself (shortblock + heads) is identical to the engine in the automatic Mach 1 and the Maurader. The manual Mach 1s have a different forged crank shaft with 8 bolts instead of 6 for the flywheel. This may help you in a search for a replacement engine. Look at car-part.com  copart.com or iaai.com for engine sources.

From the "made a lot of noise" comment, the most likely failure is the timing chain guides, which would lead to piston to valve contact on at least one side. Only way to know for sure what happened is to start pulling it apart.

Another potential issue with these trucks are the transmissions and the shifters. The 5w55x series have an issue with the servos wearing in the bores causing the trans to slip out of gear, this extends to the Explorers as well. The shifter has a plastic piece that can break leaving you stuck in park, or solenoid that unlocks the shifter when the brake is pressed can quit working. Ebay sellers want a premium for the shifter assembly.

Given the age of these trucks and their value, you might be best off parting it out and putting the money towards something else. I can't make that decision for you tho, I rebuilt my own as a labor of love on an '03 with 70k miles.

A ton of work on these 4.6L engines - they are so wide in their dimensions.  I've read a lot of timing chain/guide failues causing a lot of damage.

might want to consider a new one

Unless you have a lot of time and can do it yourself.

#5 OFFLINE   JulKamp

JulKamp

• Aviator Member
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationClearwater
  • My Aviator:2005

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

I still have my 2005 from my parents and it's in great shape and it's turning 12 years old!  If the engine failed though, it would have to get rid of it because the cost of a replacement engine is just too high.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·